Dance vs. PowerPoint

While we are still in the midst of our class presentations, I thought our class would enjoy this TED Talk on using Dance to convey a message instead of using PowerPoint. This is certainly an innovative presentation itself, but the idea is even more remarkable. The speaker (John Bohannon) claims that by using PowerPoint, we are distracted by pictures and reading words on a slide and never fully understand the message. Do you think dance can convey any idea, or does it have limits? When watching the video, do you find the dancers just as distracting as a PowerPoint? Read some of the comments to get an idea of what other experts (dancers, scientists, etc.) think!


2 comments:

  1. Vanessaf said...

    This is definitely a creative idea. Nevertheless, I do not think it will ever take off. While the speaker suggested that PowerPoint presentations distract the listeners, dancers will certainly distract them even more.

    While watching the video, I was more interested in what the dancers were doing than what the man was saying. I thought "Who are these people?" "What is this supposed to symbolized?" "Did she just mess up?" A few minutes in, I realized that I wasn't even listening to the speaker. The dancers completely distracted me.

    It is interesting to think about how Powepoints will be replaced in the future. It seems like Prezi is the new thing, but it is hazy as so what will be popular after that. Will it continue to be images on a screen? I look forward to seeing how this area develops, but I do not believe interpretive dance will be part of it.  

  2. Anonymous said...

    I did find the dancers distracting while he was speaking about presentations with dance. But, when he was speaking about science, I felt like I understood the message better (and I struggle in that field...a lot) because the dancers brought it to life. His words were almost narrating the dancer's story.

    I don't think dancers will replace powerpoint, but it is certainly an interesting way to send a message. And a cool video to watch!  


 

Est. 2008 | Aric Rindfleisch | Wisconsin School of Business | Banner Image by Bruce Fritz