Google seems to have poked their noses into every aspect of our lives. For example, they love to know what our web searching patterns are so they can better advertise to our peculiar purchasing behaviors. But now they want to develop software that drives our cars for us?

According to an article I read this morning, a world full of computer-driven automobiles may be nearing. Does this scare you? Google assures that safety is their main purpose and claim that the software in the automatic cars makes them drive safer than if a human were driving. One of the biggest benefits is that daily commuting time would be saved so the driver (or now passenger) could focus on work or entertainment. They are currently testing the software on California and have logged about 140,000 miles so far.

5 comments:

  1. Aric Rindfleisch said...

    I would like to see this in Korea, where the taxi drivers often watch TV and talk on their cell phone while negotiating the busy streets of Seoul!  

  2. Becca Schmidt said...

    This article although fascinatingly on the edge of innovation, can’t help but remind me of the lessons heralded in such movies as The Terminator or The Matrix that detail the disastrous consequences of putting too much faith in ‘artificial intelligence’. Nevertheless, while the dichotomous outcomes of innovation should be considered, focusing on the negative may only impede the greater progress of mankind, so go Google go…  

  3. Rosie said...

    I would not consider myself an early adapter to this sort of technology. I have bad luck, and therefore distrust, for all electronics. All computers have glitches, and an error my car makes while driving itself is not a risk I am willing to take!  

  4. dylanml said...

    I think if people are so concerned with doing work while they drive, they could just take the bus or a commuter train, where it's easy to do this. Also this technology looks years off.  

  5. Unknown said...

    I am glad that I am living in such an era which is full of revolution!! From Japanese android to 3D printing and this "computer drives car for you," seems like what I have seen in science fiction movie as a kid is gradually becoming true nowadays.  


 

Est. 2008 | Aric Rindfleisch | Wisconsin School of Business | Banner Image by Bruce Fritz