A Real Tree?

I'm a late adopter for most technology and therefore, I do not have an iPhone or Blackberry. I am thinking about getting the G1 phone but I'm worried if I have access to the internet 24/7 I might get really addicted to it and every time I get an email I will be looking at my phone. I can also imagine my blood pressure will rise. Anyway, I hear there are these things called "apps" for iPhone. Here is a new one called Real Tree. See the original article for more info:

http://www.goodcleantech.com/2008/12/iphone_app_plants_a_real_tree.php

Basically you purchase a "tree" for 99 cents and then you get a tree on your iPhone. The money goes towards education people about reforestation efforts across the globe. The tree on your phone can grow flowers or even have the wind go threw it.

I personally do not find any use for this but maybe others will like this relatively lazy and cheap way of being involved with the environment? We will have to see how it does.

5 comments:

  1. Jake Abel said...

    This is actually probably very similar in substance to the Red campaign in which you spend more money on a product just to support a cause. I suppose I'd spend 99 cents to support reforestation, but I'm not really sure what I'd do about this fake tree. I'd rather see a picture of a real tree that my pennies went towards planting and watch it grow!  

  2. Anonymous said...

    I like this green idea although doubt a little bit where the money will go as well. Compared with iphone, the TV commercial of G1 is too dull. I think G1 focus too much on technical details but lack visual attractiveness.  

  3. Schwald said...

    Hmmm..I tend to think that this campaign, like so many others, seeks to add value to the consumer by making them feel good about giving to a worthy charity and giving them the means to display it to others. Yes, Jake, just like the RED campaign. I think people also like the reminder to themselves that they are a good and charitable person! I expect to see a lot more of this in the future.  

  4. Becky Bishop said...

    Kristen, I think your post raises a very important point - consumer hesitation to embrace innovation. I, too, am new to much of the technology that high school students take for granted. I don't have an iPhone, only recently begrudgingly created a Facebook page, and barely know how to post a blog on this site! Indeed, I still don't have TiVo and it took me nearly a year to get up the courage to buy an iPod for fear of having to learn how to work the dumb thing!

    I sincerely doubt we're alone... So, how can marketers continually innovate yet ensure that new products are embraced by consumers? I think this will be an important question for those of us about to enter the work world. It is important for our employers that we focus on innovation as a strategic advantage over our competitors, but we must always remain mindful that not all consumers will be ready to change their behaviors and embrace new technology just because it is available... Thanks for your post!  

  5. Jeffrey Xie said...

    Nice article and actually, i am thinking about how we are impacted by products and how they changed our life, needs, and behavors. sometimes, consumer needs and products benefit created by companies are interacting each other and generating new market...  


 

Est. 2008 | Aric Rindfleisch | Wisconsin School of Business | Banner Image by Bruce Fritz