Desktop Manufacturing

I was admittedly skeptical when professor Rindfleisch first introduced the concept of 3D printing and exclaimed that it had the potential to change our lives. How could something possibly begin approach the impact that the internet has had on our lives?

Then, on my daily skim of the NYTimes homepage, I ran into this video which put the phenomenon into a little better perspective for me.



It literally amazed me that they could 'print' items with somewhat complicated moving parts and multiple components. I was personally under the impression that it would be limited to static 3D representations of images, not fully functioning motor devices.

Given the speed of which technology advances itself, the prospects for 3D printing now seem endless. I think there is little question that the printing will become more complex, bigger, and faster as money floods in for development. Moreover, the materials the printers are able to use will undoubtedly become more diverse and bionic. After watching this short video, I really do believe the possibilities for 3D printing could be life-changing and are rather exciting to think about.

1 comments:

  1. Aric Rindfleisch said...

    Great video! Thanks for posting.

    Hewlett-Packard is also offering a fairly low cost 3D printer. Here is a link:

    http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-04/hp-prints-three-dimensions-release-designjet-3d

    Within the next 3-5 years, I expect that the cost for this type of product will be less that $5K and under $3k by 2020.  


 

Est. 2008 | Aric Rindfleisch | Wisconsin School of Business | Banner Image by Bruce Fritz